Friday, August 15, 2008

Go Charlie


After going Delta airspace (Hayward) last week. Tonight, I challenged next higher class--Charlie airspace--Fresno Yosemite Internationl Airport.
While doing pre-flight preparation this afternoon, I checked the Sectional Chart, A/F D, and the airport vicinity image on Google Earth, filling up the Navigation Log, and the frequencies enroute. But while checking the DUATS, I found a cruel fact-- the shorter runway is closed for construction, it means there is only one runway is serving. Will they still let me land there? and share the runway with airliners? I made an alternate airport--Fresno Chandler, once I was not allowed to land FAT, I still have an backup airport.
Because I had no any "Charlie" experience, I decided to arrive school and ask for opinions and instructions. After dicussing with some instructors, I decided to land FCH first then ask FAT the possibility via radio, and changed my flight plan destination with FSS.
Taking off N5351L is another story, no fuel, no oil ( about 2 quarter left, can you belive it?! ), continue flying 51L for several days, I realised this is an oil-killer, and no oil left at school, so I have to taxi it to the ramp, grap 3 cane of oils, and taxi again to fuel station for re-fuel. Wow!
Finally, taking off at 19:40, I activated my flight plan, and called NorCal for flight following.... all the way peace until getting close to Madera, at that time the flight following had been changed to Fresno Approach, and an idea just popped out--I asked Fresno Approach :
"Fresno Approach, Cessna 5351L, I know the shorter runway in Fresno Yosemite is closed, but is it possible to do some touch-and-go there? or I have to ask Fresno Tower?"
"Cessna 5351L, Fresno,you may do some options there, I will guide you to Fresno Yosemite." they replied me.
Wow! it's really can do!
"Fresno Approach, Cessna 5351L would like to change frequency for Fresno Yosemite ATIS, and will come back your frequency after that."
"Cessna 5351L, frequency change approved, let me know when you come back."
..........
After few minutes, I asked a stupid question:
"Fresno Approach, Cessna 5351L would like to change frequency to Fresno Tower for landing."
"Cessna 5351L, unable. I will hand you over to Fresno Tower later."
"Roger, 51L." I thought I have to contact tower for intention, I didn't know the approach will pass the information to tower and guide me all the way to tower.
Finally, besides of a big city lights, airport in sight.
"Cessna 5351L, Fresno Approach, contact Fresno Tower frequency 118.2, have a good night."
"Fresno Approach, Cessna 5351L, 12 miles north, inbond for option, with information Wisky."
"Cessna 5351L, Fresno Tower, make left-downwind runway 29R, report abeam tower."Oh! left-downwind, that's unusual,it must be 29L is closed.
I started to descend, when I abeamed the tower, just made the Traffic Pattern Altitude--1303 feet. Good job, Eric!
"Cessna 5351L, number 2, follow the kingair, runway 29R, clear the option."
Just at the movement, I was trying to read back the instruction, the tower said again:
"Cessna 5351L, keep downwind for landing traffic, I will call your turn."
Okay, let's extend downwind then.....
"Cessna 5351L, clear the option 29R, watch jet landing."
Cool! It's my first time landing behind a jet, for avoiding wake turbulance,I know I have to watch it's touch-down point and land beyond it. Thanks God, the runway is long enough for me. 9227 feet! I even can do 3 times touch-and-go there.
Touch-and go, extending upwind, turn crosswind, extending downwind again. At that time, I asked tower.
"This landing will be a full stop, and I will visit Mazzei school."
"Roger, clear to land, runway 29R"
After touch down, the tower asked me:
"Cessna 5351L, are you familiar Mazzei's location?"
"Negative, request aggressive taxi. Cessna 51L."
"Roger, Cessna 5351L, make a left turn on the next exit, cross runway 29L and turn right on taxiway Bravo, all the way to the end and turn left you will find the building."
Wow! What a long instruction! thanks God I have airport diagram on hand.
When I jumped off the airplane, it's already 21:20. I Called to close my flight plan with FSS, and went into the terminal, the Mazzei shcool is at the second floor, and no body left, but the first floor, the pilot's lounge is still open, so I could go in and throw myself into the leather sofa. Leather sofas, drinks, TV! This is real pilot's lounge! But it's shame, I was the only one there.
The communication with tower before take-off is another new experience.
"... Hold short 29 R. Request left crosswind departure." I said.
"... Say destination and intended altitude." the tower asked me.
"... destination Livermore, and altitude 4,500 feet."
"... stay at and below 2,000."
Obviously, the tower will vector me till leaving his territory.
While on the upwind, the tower's voice came.
"...cancel altitude limitation, you may fly the altitude you want. Contact Fresno Approach 119.6."
Thru some frequencies, NorCal 120.95, 123.85, and I came back to homebase, Livermore.

Charlie. It's Good.

No comments: